Where can a new mum with a 5 week old baby find a breastfeeding friendly top to wear to a posh wedding?
- A top to go with trousers
- Breastfeeding friendly – something with easy access, and potential for covering up if uncomfortable
- Budget – “the cheaper the better”. If your little one is only 5 weeks old, chances are you are not going to stay this shape for long, so even if you have money to spare, cheap and cheerful often does the job.
- Needs to flatter a bigger bust and probably a post-birth “mummy tummy”
What to look for:
There are lots of lovely tops in the shops – glamorous smock styles are perfect for lift-up style feeds and camouflage a mummy tummy beautifully. If you’re big busted, they can look tent-like and may even resemble maternity clothes. There is nothing more likely to dent your confidence at a posh do than still looking pregnant, however normal and natural it is.
Always choose a flattering top over a “wow” top. Find something that works and feels good, then accessorise. If you’re feeling sleep deprived and lacklustre, picking colours that reflect the light onto your skin can give you a lift.
The most flattering shapes for bigger busts are empire line and wrap styles. Empire line tops are fitted under the bust so give some definition to your figure and avoid the tent look while skimming your stomach. Wrap styles give great access and often have added stretch, so are great for defining curves. Avoid wrap tops that are too short or tight over the belly, as it can make them unflattering.
Here are some of my favourites:
- At the top end of the price range, this Warehouse Honey comb detail blouse (Â£50) is really special and will look great accessorised with a cuff bangle. The wide sleeves should allow a sleeve feed.
- This Velvet Odora Top (Â£33.62) is extremely flattering and the stretch wrap style gives excellent feeding access. Don’t be scared of the simplicity – use toning accessories for a chic, understated look.
- SouthÂ Ballet Wrap Jersey Top (Â£18) – another simple option which is longer at the back and has a lovely bow detail. Bright accessories contrast well with the bright white.Â
- Traffic People Summer Heat Wrap Top (Â£36) – A gorgeous print top with exquisite detailing. The wrap style and elasticated underbust should work for a pull down style feed, but check the sizing charts to make sure you order a size that fits your boobs!
- BORATO Batwing Cowl Neck Top (Â£39) – A great, strong colour and a forgiving style. This top should work for either a pull down style feed or a sleeve feed.
- Star by Julien Macdonald Green & Yellow Wrap Tunic (Â£42) – The print and balloon sleeves give a strong look and breastfeeding access is great. The style is fitted, so buy a size bigger to avoid emphasising a mummy tummy.
- Episode V neck wrap top (Â£50) – The wrap style and stretch fabric give great access for breastfeeding.
- Peacocks by Design Cold Shoulder Top (Â£30) – Simple but glam, this Forties style top is available in cream or a black print. The fabric doesn’t stretch, but the fit is loose enough to still give feeding access.Â
- Vero Moda Kimono Sleeve Top (Â£35) – Another very simple option, but the kimono sleeves make it look special. the wrap style should allow a pull down style feed.
As long as it isn’t uncomfortable when feeding, a 5 week old will still let you wear your favourite jewellery without grabbing, twisting and breaking it. Make the most of it, as those days are numbered!
Finally, remember that whatever everyone else is wearing, and however good they look, you already have the most fabulous, eyecatching accessory known to man…. No amount of designer clobber will ever compete with a gorgeous 5 week old baby. Bask in the reflected glow and enjoy!