It’s that time of year again when the wedding invites start arriving. If you’re like me, having spent a few weeks thinking about how lovely it will be to show off your gorgeous baby to all those admiring friends, outfit panic is probably now setting in.
As a breastfeeding mum I’m finding occasion shopping that much harder. I used to have a wedding “look” that always gave me a confidence boost, but strapless prom dresses and empire line maxis don’t work with my nursing bras and I’m having to rethink my style.
If like me, you’ve been stuck in a fashion rut, why not take the opportunity to reinvent yourself this Spring and try out some different shapes and styles.
Remember that outfits don’t have to look functional to allow you to feed easily – a cardigan or shrug buttoned at the top allows you to feed without fuss (or flashing) in any top or dress that will pull down. If you make your own nursing vests, you can tailor colour, straps and neckline to work perfectly underneath any dress and you can use the same technique to make nursing slips for a smoother silhouette.
Here are some of my favourite looks for the wedding season:
There are some lovely 50s style dresses in the shops at the moment. They are a flattering shape and great for hiding a mummy tummy, but most of them won’t work for breastfeeding. Look for styles which button to the waist and wear with a nursing vest or cropped cardi for extra coverage.
If you prefer a clean lines and a tailored look, look out for simple shapes with hidden button or zip fronts and wrap dresses in graphic designs. Stick with strong colour and striking accessories to really stand out in the crowd.
Simple Shapes, Strong Colour
Shirt dresses are easy for breastfeeding and there are lots about. Pick luxe fabrics, prints and detailing and wear with heels for effortless glamour.
Sophisticated shirt dresses
1. Tommy Hilfiger Dress Â£99.90 – dress-for-less
2. Gryphon Burnout Dress Â£135.03 – Shopbop.com
3. Parker Double Flared Sleeve Dress Â£136.01 – Shopbop.com
4. Antik Batik Kim Mini Dress Â£119.81 – Shopbop.com
5. Be Beau Blurred Print Shirt Dress Â£22 – Matalan
6. Pink Kinsella Dress Was Â£135 Now Â£79 – Thomas Pink
The strong 1970s influence this season means there are lots of laidback styles in soft, draped fabrics. Cape style, wide sleeves and slouchy looks all work well for a simple wedding look. High heels and flats both work with this look but keep accessories simple. This is a perfect low-effort look for yummy mummies!
1. Warehouse Lace Trim Shirt Silk Dress Â£30 – ASOS
2. Parker Double Flared Sleeve Dress with Print Â£142.48 – Shopbop.com
3. Ruby star print v neck maxi dress (sleeve / pull down feed) Â£18 – Boohoo.com
4. Cape Tie Waist Dress (sleeve feed) Was Â£47 Now Â£38 – Rare
5. Twelfth St. by Cynthia Vincent Bibbed Tunic Dress Â£211.12 – Shopbop.com
6. Clarie flower border maxi dress (sleeve / pull down feed) Â£15 – Boohoo.com
7. Rachel Pally Newport Dress (also available in other colours) Â£165.94 – Shopbop.com
8. Pied a Terre Floral and paisley print dress (sleeve feed) Was Â£130 Now Â£91 – House of Fraser
If you’ve found a great outfit you want to share, please e-mail me or share it on the MilkChic Facebook page!